Going to the zoo is a great way to spend a day with family and friends. There are many different animals to see and learn about, and the zoo staff is very knowledgeable and passionate about their work.
One of the best things about the zoo is that it can be educational for adults and children. Many zoos have educational programs and exhibits that can teach visitors about the animals and their habitats. Zoos also often have conservation programs in place to help protect endangered species.
Of course, going to the zoo can also simply be a fun day out. There are photo opportunities, and it can be a great place to watch people. Most zoos also have cafes and gift shops, so it’s easy to make a day of it.
No matter what your age, a trip to the zoo can be a fun and educational experience for everyone. But to make the most out of your zoo trip adventure, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Plan Ahead and Choose the Right Zoo. Not all zoos are created equal – do your research to find one that’s reputable and has the kinds of animals you’re interested in seeing. Choosing AZA, ZAA, and AHA accredited facilities is a great start, but accreditation isn’t everything.
- Go at the Right Time. The best time to visit most zoos is during the weekdays when it’s less crowded. Avoid the midday heat by visiting in the morning or late afternoon. You’ll also have a better chance of seeing animals that are more active during these cooler times of the day.
- Dress for the Weather. Wear comfortable shoes and clothing that will protect you from the sun or cold, depending on the season. Don’t forget to check the forecast before you go and dress appropriately for the conditions.
- Don’t Forget to Pack the Essentials. Bring sunscreen, hats, comfortable shoes, and water are all must-haves for a day at the zoo.
- Bring along Snacks and Drinks. Zoo visits can be long and tiring, so it’s important to keep your energy up. Many zoos have restaurants, but they can be expensive, and the lines can be long. Save yourself some money and time by packing your own picnic lunch. Pack some healthy snacks and drinks to keep you going.
- Buy Your Tickets in Advance. You can often save money by buying your tickets online ahead of time.
- Use the Map. Most zoos will provide you with a map when you enter. Take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the layout so you can make the most of your visit.
- Take Advantage of Keeper Talks and Demonstrations. These are usually scheduled throughout the day and are a great way to learn more about the animals.
- Avoid Peak Hours. If possible, try to visit during the zoo’s off-peak hours. This is usually early in the morning or later in the afternoon.
- Take Your Time. There’s no need to rush – take your time walking around and observing the animals. If you can, find out ahead of time where the best viewing areas are for the animals you want to see. Don’t just find the animal in the exhibit, but watch their behavior. If they’re sleeping do a quick google search of the animal’s natural history or read the signs.
- Be Respectful. Remember that you’re a guest in the animals’ home. Don’t make loud noises, throw things, or climb on fences.
- Have Fun: A day at the zoo is a great opportunity to spend time with family and friends while getting up close and personal with some fantastic animals.
At the end of the day, you’ll probably be tired but exhilarated from all of the fun you had at the zoo. Remember to take some time to relax and reflect on all of the amazing animals and experiences you encountered during your visit!
When you’re planning a trip to the zoo, there are a few things you can do to make sure it’s a success and filled with exciting adventures. By following our practical tips, you can ensure that your day at the zoo is one to remember!
Tanganyika Wildlife Park is a family-owned wildlife zoo in Wichita, KS that is home to over 400 animals with about 37 successful breeding programs. We have more than 40 exhibits that feature ten interactive stations for both children and adults to enjoy. We are proud to be a world-leading park that breeds rare and endangered species. Let us give you an experience of a lifetime as you get up close and personal with some of the most amazing animals on the planet! Book your tickets today!