What’s the difference between alpacas vs llamas? Despite their similar appearance, there are a lot of differences! Read more to find out or visit the Children’s Zoo at Tanganyika Wildlife Park where you can see the differences for yourself, in-person!
Alpaca vs Llama: Tale of the Tape
- Size – Llamas tend to grow taller and larger than the average alpaca. Llamas range from 200 to 350 lbs., and stand about 42 to 46 inches while alpacas weigh in at 100 to 175 lbs., and stand 34 to 36 inches.
- Personality – Alpacas are very gentle and shy, while llamas are very confident and brave animals. Alpacas are more comfortable as herd animals, while llamas are solitary animals. Llamas are known for spitting quickly when they feel threatened, whereas alpacas are much gentler and just spit as their last resort when they’re angry or scared.
- Hair – Alpacas have a soft, fine coat of hair, while a llama’s hair tends to be coarser. Llamas have two coats, a soft undercoat and a coarse overcoat that’s difficult to separate from one another, while an alpaca has one coat of soft hair. An alpaca fiber is thicker and more dense, and grows faster than a llama’s hair.
- Face – Llamas have a longer face, whereas alpacas’ faces appear to be smushed in.
- Ears – Alpaca ears have short spear-shaped ears while llamas have much longer, banana-shaped ears.
- Colors – Alpacas have 22 naturally occurring coat colors ranging from white, black, roan, brown, pinto, fawn, gray, red and rose. When an alpaca’s coat is multicolored, it is known to be “fancy”.
- Llamas come in various shades of a wide range of solid colors and spotted patterns including white, black, gray, beige, brown and red
How YOU can meet Alpacas and Llamas at Tanganyika Wildlife Park!
Are you searching for the perfect family getaway for the weekend?! If so, Tanganyika Wildlife Park makes the PERFECT weekend trip to make memories that will last a lifetime! Here at Tanganyika, we are excited to offer you the experience of interacting with llamas and alpacas up close and personal! Imagine the excitement of having the opportunity to feel the soft coats of our alpacas and llamas! Our alpacas and llamas LOVE snacks, so you will quickly become their best friend after feeding them their favorite treats! Visit our website to read what our hours are, so you and your family can visit our alpacas, llamas, and all of our other rare and endangered animals. They can’t wait to meet you!
The ULTIMATE Animal Adventure Weekend at Tanganyika Wildlife Park
Are you searching for the chance to interact with animals from ALL OVER the world without leaving Kansas?! Tanganyika’s Ultimate Animal Adventure Weekend offers guests the once in a lifetime opportunity to meet and interact with animals from all over the world without having to trudge through jungles, snow, rainforests, mountains, pine tree forests, or beaches! What are you waiting for?! Begin your animal safari TODAY, don’t miss this once in a lifetime wildlife opportunity!
About the Author: TWP Marketing Intern, Nick is a Kansas native who spends his free time volunteering to help wildlife and cheering on his favorite sports teams. With a background in marketing and blogging, he shares his passion for wildlife conservation through his work. His favorite animals are sloths, giraffes, and penguins, and he loves sharing his passion for them with others!